Well it has been an interesting week. So here is our story:
We went on our cruise, good times. Had a little bit of a head cold when I got back, able to eat normal, nothing funny coming out of any orifice (happy thoughts I know), able to work out all was dandy. I did sorta sound like a man for a bit for but that cleared up, felt great towards the end of the week. Then came Sunday, went to work sat night, little exhausted from the garage sale (did not lift anything heavy) but shift was boring as heck and left feeling a little sinus pressure took a benadryl and went to bed. Woke up at noon because I had severe right pelvic pain and was running a slight fever. Then pain continued to wake me up every hour until I finally got up at three to call the doc. Called the on-call OB doctor who told me if I felt like I was in labor then get to the ER. Well that would be helpful information IF I knew what labor felt like. Oh side note, googling contractions is not as descriptive or as helpful as a freaking-out emotional pregnant woman. So after becoming slightly overwhelmed and having the 1st of many emotional breakdowns we went to the labor and delivery ER. Got checked out, had a fever but baby was great on fetal monitor and they said I was not in active labor. Checked out my girly parts and things were ok, so yea.
After leaving the ER, I had to work that night (yea for being the only charge on that night). I should have known something was up when we got Chipotle and I only took 3 bits and then pretty much threw away the rest. Went into work Sunday night. Of course when I got there everyone tells me I look awful and pale, which in all honestly I felt terrible. Still had the pain and also had a fever up to 100.6 and started to feel nauseous. Work was kinda crazy busy and the only thing I felt like eating was some saltines and ginger ale. Finally around midnight I just could not take it anymore, had to leave work and go to our ER. It is nice to work at a hospital at times, you know people they know you and they get you in and feeling better fast. Morphine and Zofran are fabulous, mixed with an NS bolus Julia was a happier camper although still very emotionally unstable. Breakdown #2. Labs showed that I had elevated white blood cells, normal is 10000, I was coming in at 18000, that with a fever and abd pain they started thinking appendicitis. So at this point we were just wrapping our head around possible surgery. Can not do a CT scan on a pregnant person, so got to have a sonogram which showed nothing. Although being pregnant doesn't mean much b/c stuff gets shifted. Had an MRI, which showed that my appendicitis was normal. So back to square one.
General surgery was consulted and they were kinda of clueless. I ended up getting admitted the the high risk OB floor for observation. My OB came to see me and she had no idea what was going on either. I was a medical mystery yea! I can not begin to tell you how many times I passed out that night, b/t the morphine and almost no sleep in 2 days. Watched a few movies then off to bed. Woke up Tuesday morning with awful headache, neckache and backache and a fever of 100.8. Took the hottest shower imaginable and still had the chills with the water on me. Went straight over for a baby sonogram, where bumble was uncooperative of course but very active. My cervix (yea for very medical part) was measure "small." Basically unless you are in the last part of pregnancy doctors want your cervix to measure at least 25mm or longer. Mine was at 22. I had just had a sono last monday which was normal for me. I have had some surgeries in the past that make me not quite as normal as others and do increase the risk of preterm labor or cervical incompetence but I knew this going in. So now we get a little concerned b/c a) why is the happening and b) am I going to deliver early. The doctor wanted me to go ahead and get some steroid shots to help develop bumble's lungs just in case a worst case senerio happened. Semi-breakdown #3. Back to room to chill, hang out with friends and family and try to keep my mind off everything. Well I thought I was being able to feel the outline of the baby until my nurse came in and no honey that is a contraction, well crap. No other signs of labor and I had only had the the whole day, one in the morning, afternoon and then evening. They get concerned if they are every 10 minutes or 6 in one hour. Once it was just James and I in the room had major breakdown (#4 for those keeping track). I do not want a preterm baby, if I have to have one I will but really would prefer not too. Plus I would prefer 34 week premie than 24 week premie. Never had to take any medication to stop contractions just monitoring, of course Bumble was fine during all the doppler heart tone checks, kicking the doppler any chance possible. We found out my white count was normal so double yea! However got an IM shot in my hip muscle, not so yea!
Finally got to start eating but not terribly hungry, weird since I had not eaten in like 2 days. I had some food but trust me not as much as I have been eating. Sleep was a little harder that night even though I felt better, nerves were kinda kicking in. Also woke up twice drenched in sweat, so not fun. Not sure if I had had a fever and it broke or weird pregnancy stuff b/c the fan was on and room was cold. Woke up this morning feeling great. No fever, normal white count and no achy-ness, I felt normal. On an even better not, no contractions. If I stayed ok I could go home after second shot. The day was normal, watched movies although did have little breakdown in the morning. Got my shot and made it home safe and sound by 7ish. So now I am now on bedrest until my doctors appointment on monday. I can get up to pee and fill my water glass, but other than that it is laying down on the couch. I can go up and down my stairs twice in the day that is it, no driving, no cooking, no cleaning or laundry. On monday will find out long term plans. My doctor is hoping everything was out of wack b/c I was dehydrated and sick and that this next sono will be back to normal. Worst case senerio bedrest for next 3 months, which in all honestly would really suck. Plus no traveling at all and if you know me I do not sit still well. Have already thought of many activities to keep me busy if my worst case senerio comes true: scrap-booking, making Christmas stockings for James, Bumble and I (maybe roxie and kibbles depending on bored I am), taking up knitting, restart cross stitching, the list could go on. Hoping for a more light duty result but I will whatever it takes to keep Bumble safe and sound.
I want to thank all our concerned family and friends, we would have been able to handle the whole thing without yall. Family was especially amazing, James and I are very blessed to have such a strong support system. It truly meant a lot to us. Would also Presby ER and Perot 4North Rns/techs awesome. They made our experience so great and had tons of helpful information to make a type A obsessive compulsive nurse a semi calmer person. James even truly learned what menstrual cramps felt like. They never did find out what was wrong with me, although my doctor told me that there was another woman coming in with exact same symptoms as me and they were just as clueless.
I personally have to give a shout out to James b/c he let me wig out numerous times (and cry which I NEVER do and freaks him out) and stayed calm, somehow without showing me how crazy everything was for him. I found such a great guy to marry and have a baby with. Marilynn and Jerry yall done good! We were able to talk about our fears and concerns, while at the same time helping de-stress each other. Love him with all my heart and would be lost without him.
No comments:
Post a Comment